Skip to NavigationSkip to content

Shionogi

Shionogi's novel antibiotic selected for UK pilot subscription reimbursement model

Japanese pharmaceutical company Shionogi today announced that NICE and NHS England and Improvement (NHSE&I) have selected its novel antibiotic Fetcroja (cefiderocol) for inclusion in a pilot subscription reimbursement model in the UK, which ‘de-links’ payment from volume of use.

Shionogi's Mulpleo recommended for NHS use across England, Wales and Scotland for chronic liver disease

Both the regulators governing NHS use of medicines in England, Wales and Scotland – the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and the Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC) – have moved to recommend Shionogi’s Mulpleo (lusutrombopag) for the treatment of severe thrombocytopenia in adult patients with chronic liver disease (CLD) undergoing planned invasive procedures.

The decision was based on evidence indicating that the therapy met all primary endpoints in two trials of 312 CLD patients with severe thrombocytopenia and a platelet count of <50,000/µL.

First novel, single-dose flu drug approved in US in almost 20 years

Image Credit: US Air Force photo illustration/Senior Airman Benjamin Stratton

The FDA has announced that it has approved the first single-dose flu drug with a novel mechanism of action in nearly two decades.

FDA approves Gilead's Biktarvy for HIV as Viiv Healthcare launches patent lawsuit

Gilead has announced that its daily single-tablet therapy Biktarvy has received FDA approval for HIV-1 infection.

ViiV completes BMS HIV pipeline purchase

ViiV Healthcare has completed its previously-announced acquisition of Bristol-Myers Squibb’s late-stage HIV R&D assets and its portfolio of preclinical and discovery stage HIV research assets.  

Originally announced in December, the deals, which could be worth as much almost $1.5 billion, included an upfront payment of $317 million, and development and first commercial sale milestones of up to $518 million for the late-stage assets.

GSK mulls $27 billion ViiV sell-off

Viiv image
ViiV is co-owned by GSK, Pfizer and Shionogi

After a difficult few years and another poor quarter, GlaxoSmithKline has announced that it is looking to float its fast-growing HIV drugs business ViiV Healthcare to help shore up its finances.

The ViiV venture which is 80%-owned by GSK, with Pfizer and Shionogi owning the remaining 20%, has recently launched the HIV medicine Tivicay (dolutegravir), which has brought in strong sales.

Shionogi and ViiV strike new HIV deal

Shionogi image

HIV specialist firm ViiV Healthcare has announced a new deal with Japan’s Shionogi on a promising new treatment.

ViiV Healthcare was established in 2009 as a joint venture between GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer, with GSK holding an 85% stake and Pfizer taking a 15% share.

Now Shionogi will gain a 10% share in ViiV in exchange for handing over rights to the drug, integrase inhibitor dolutegravir and other early-stage drugs in the same class.

Shionogi opens UK office

Shionogi opening image
Shionogi president, Isao Teshirogi with Lord Darzi and Kit Malthouse, deputy mayor

Japanese pharma firm Shionogi & Co has opened a new office in London and pledged to expand into Europe.

Osaka-based Shionogi has made the move as part of a five-year plan to grow its global business and plans to focus R&D efforts on infectious diseases, pain and metabolic syndrome.

“We aim to achieve our mission as a company with a strong presence in Europe, which conducts business operations recognised by patients, their families, healthcare providers and broader communities,” said Takashi Takenoshita, chief executive of Shionogi Europe.

Mission Statement
Pharmafile.com is a leading portal for the pharmaceutical industry, providing industry professionals with pharma news, pharma events, pharma service company listings and pharma jobs,
Site content is produced by our editorial team exclusively for Pharmafile.com and our industry newspaper Pharmafocus. Service company profiles and listings are taken from our pharmaceutical industry directory, Pharmafile, and presented in a unique Find and Compare format to ensure the most relevant matches